Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Relationships: Building Support Systems

     "Relationship is defined as the way in which two or more concepts, objects, or people are connected, or the state of being connected."
 
     Although, I live somewhat of a guarded life,  for reasons that I will discuss in a later blog, I value my relationships.  I only allow certain people in my circle, because I am a firm believer that your friends should encourage you, just as you should encourage them to do better and be better.  I will give my last to help a person that is truly in need and is striving to do better.  Honestly, my friends think of me as the resource capital in the circle, because if there is a program, a fund, a link, that will help them in a search for something, if I don't know it, give me about five minutes and I will have the answer for them. You need a support system amongst your friends!
    
     There have been a couple of instances where I really and truly thought, that a person that I had allowed in my circle was being genuine and a friend, but instead, I found out that this person was conniving, manipulative, and jealous hearted.  I could not understand why, because I would help this person in any way that I could.  After thinking about the situation over and over again, it dawned on me that the jealousy sparked from me just being me.  I established some relationships that she could not all because of my approachable personality.  To me there is no reason to shut people out in a work environment.  These are people that you have to work with day in and day out, therefore, it should be as cohesive as it can be.  In a work environment, I study the people around me and I find something that would put me on common ground with that person before I approach them, sort of like a peace offering.  This makes it easier to communicate with them and essentially, it shows that I pay attention to detail and I listen.  You need a support system at work so build positive relationships!

     Relationships with your family are very important.  I love family! I wear my family on my sleeves.  No matter if I saw you 20 minutes ago or 20 years ago, my seeing you today would be as if I just saw you.  I think people need family as a definite support system.  They may get mad at you from time to time but at the end of the day, if you really need it, usually your family will help you.  So often, we (myself included) are so private and consumed with pride that in times of need, we do not reach out to our families because we want to pretend that we have it together.  You always need a support system! For years, I have been trying to come up with a way to create a "family committee".  The thought is there, I just need to put it in perspective and in action.  You definitely need a support system in your family!

     No matter what it is that happens in your life, at your job, or even in your family; you should always have a support system that you can turn to.  Sometimes, hearing yourself discuss your problems with someone else, allows you to really dissect what it is that your are battling at the time.  You can then put it in perspective, think about it, and develop your own resolutions for it!

Again, if I help you and you help me, then you are Building a Better Me! 

Be Supportive!

Geneise




No comments:

Post a Comment