Friday, September 6, 2013

Reinventing and Rebranding

On my last post, I ended with a question, "How do I reinvent myself?"  I was unaware of this concept until my friend introduced me to 9 Things a Leader Must Do by Dr. Henry Cloud.  In one of the chapters it speaks about change and how necessary and important it is to change according to the goals or aspirations that have been set for your life and your employment.

In order to reinvent something, it must be changed so that it appears to be entirely new.  This coincides with the concept of rebranding as well, which is known as a marketing strategy to completely change a product so that in the minds of the consumers it is new and different.  I thought that reinventing and rebranding was specific to products or things.  After researching each, I have found that those concepts can be applied to people.

In each job that I have previously held, I have been an employee.  Now that I am a job-seeker, with a Master of Public Administration in Public Management, I am having to reinvent myself, not as an employee but as a leader.  At times its difficult because the knowledge is there, the job experience is there as well, but what is lacking is the supervisory experience and without that experience most companies are not willing to take a chance on you. 

In most jobs, there is some form of unconventional supervision, although your job title does not reflect a supervisory role and it is not a role that is performed on a regular basis, it is one that is performed.  Most of the time, we see this basic supervision with new hires.  Yes, they go through orientation and sometimes job specific training outside of the agency, but once they return to the agency, the new hires are paired with a seasoned person that ultimately trains and supervises them for a certain amount of time.  Can this be classified as supervision?  I think so!

Employees that have been assigned special projects have to create a team or collaborate with multiple people in order to plan, develop, design, implement, and administer the project, have in my opinion taking on a leadership role and are responsible for the supervision of that project. Again, I think unconventional supervision

Through this journey, I am continuously finding ways to reinvent and rebrand my skills and abilities in hopes that I will be viewed as a new and improved person with the necessary core competencies for the demanding job market. 

I hope you have been inspired to take a look at yourself and reinvent and rebrand!

Geneise

No comments:

Post a Comment