Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Reason for the Season

     Christmas has always been a special time of the year.  The reason for the season varies depending upon whose house you are in.  In our house, the reason for the season has always been the "gift of life; Christmas represents the day that Jesus was born.  There were Christmas carols that everybody knew and my kids can't get one right. 

     When we were driving home, the lack of Christmas decorations sparked a conversation between Adrian and I.  In 2013, what is the meaning of Christmas?  Once thing that we agreed upon was that the celebration of Christmas has become so commercial and seems to be viewed as just another holiday to go shopping.  Now our children are either texting on their smart phones, listening to music on their ipods through their Beats by Dre, surfing the world wide web on their tablets and laptops, or gaming on their Xbox or PS4.  Where are the children riding Big Wheels, Green Machines, Bikes?  I am ashamed to say that two years ago, I bought my children bikes for Christmas and they have yet to learn/really ride them but I redeemed myself this year by buying electronic scooters!  :-)

     After yesterday, I made a conscious decision that next Christmas, we will have decorations galore, a lot of caroling, reciting the story of baby Jesus and all day outside play!  Let's bring back "traditional" celebrations and the Christmas decorations!

I hope each and everyone of you had a Merry Christmas!

Geneise

No comments:

Post a Comment